Author: Francis Kelley/Thu, May 16, 2013/Categories: Long Island Medial Malpractice

Medical_Malpractice_BrainThe legal struggle took more than a decade, but once the smoke had cleared from the battlefield, a Long Island family was awarded $130 million in what is the second-largest medical malpractice verdict in state history, according to a report in the New York Daily News.

Danni and Frank Reilly filed a lawsuit against St. Charles Hospital and Rehabilitation Center and an obstetrician who works there, charging that the bungling of their daughter’s Nov. 1, 2002, birth had caused her brain damage, which has taken away her ability to speak, write or even walk without assistance, the New York Post reported.

When Danni arrived at St. Charles Hospital to have labor induced, her unborn daughter, Shannon, was perfectly healthy, both sides of the lawsuit agreed, according to the Post.

When Reilly was encouraged to start pushing to begin the process of thrusting the baby out, her placenta ruptured. The hospital contended that the rupture happened at around 8:50 p.m., and that an emergency C-section was ordered promptly, the couple told the Post.

The couple alleges that medical mistakes made during this process left their daughter “a prisoner in her own body,” as they told the New York Daily News.

Shortly before Shannon’s case was set for trial in 2009, the hospital offered the Reilly family an $8 million settlement, which they were urged not to accept.

Victory In Second Retrial

Ultimately, the couple prevailed in what was a second retrial. The final trial started playing out last month in Suffolk County Supreme Court and ended Tuesday with the colossal verdict, the Daily News reported.

“The agony of the last 10 years has finally ended,” Danni, herself a nurse, and Frank, a solar equipment salesman, said together in a statement. “Our beloved daughter will be protected for the rest of her life.”

Comments are closed.

close [contact-form-7 id="643" title="Contact form 1"]